Flora, Fauna, aesthetic appeal, ornamental plants, abstract elements, natural elements, and landform contours, horticulture – Wondering what these terms mean?
Fret not. These are all a few technical terms used in the art of creating beautiful spaces out of home gardens and gardens in commercial spaces that have an aesthetic appeal, technically called as Landscaping.
Here is a write up explaining all about landscaping, its variations for residential and commercial purpose, care and maintenance of the residential landscapes, tips for better home gardens and care for residential lawns, Commercial landscaping equipment and software, among others.
- 1 What is Landscaping?
- 2 What are the types of landscaping?
- 3 What are the elements of Landscape designing?
- 4 What is meant by Residential Landscaping?
- 5 What are the factors involved in residential landscaping?
- 6 How to take care of residential lawns and tips for home gardens?
- 7 Residential Lawn CareTips:
- 8 Tips for Homes and Gardens:
- 9 What is commercial landscaping?
- 10 What are the factors involved in commercial landscaping?
- 11 What are the different kinds of equipment used for commercial landscaping?
- 12 Are there any residential landscaping software? Is one available for commercial landscaping too?
What is Landscaping?
- Landscaping can be simply defined as achieving aesthetic charm by making changes and improvements to a given land area. This can be done either by adding plants or shrubs or changing the contours of the garden area or by even adding some ornamental features that enhance the overall aesthetic appeal.
- Landscaping is a field which calls for a thorough knowledge of horticulture and having an artistic bent of mind.
- Horticulture is a branch of agricultural science that focuses on growing plants, the science, technology and art involved in it.
- Landscaping, gardening designing and restoration are all a part of the important aspects that from part of Horticulture.
- Various elements play a key role in landscaping which include water bodies, land terrains, land forms, elevation, lighting conditions etc.
- Landscapes are location specific and differ from region and region. Hence local natural experts are required to create and maintain a good landscape.
- Landscaping is a field in which a thorough amalgamation of various aspects from various fields occurs. These fields include Botany, Fine arts, Horticulture, Geology, Industrial design, Architecture, Ecology, Geography, Earth Sciences, Environmental Psychology.
What are the types of landscaping?
- Broadly, one can classify the landscapes into two categories, depending on the location that they are created in, like our home gardens or the business spaces- Residential landscapes and commercial landscapes.
- There is one more classification of landscapes, depending on the occurrence of these landscapes, which are classified as under:
- Natural Landscapes – that which occur naturally in the environment with or without the influence of man. Example: Naturally occurring mountain terrains, plains, volcanic formations, etc.
- Urban Landscapes – These are landscapes that are created or formed usually in the urban setting. The different variations here include activity spaces, extreme landscapes, landscapes for consumption, heritage landscapes, landscapes of exclusion, protected landscapes, etc.
What are the elements of Landscape designing?
Any landscape designing, be it for residential purpose or commercial purpose, has a set of elements that interplay with each other to create an appealing aesthetic look. How these elements are used effectively and efficiently depend a lot on the landscape designer or the company providing residential landscape services or the commercial landscape services, as is the case.
Given below is a table explaining the elements of landscape designing:
|Natural Elements of Landscaping||Man-made Elements of Landscaping|
|Flora / Fauna||Plastic|
|Timber / Wood||Metal|
|Vegetation||Structures and Buildings|
Apart from the above naturally occurring or man-made elements, there are a few important aspects that play a role in the overall design of the landscape. These are:
- Line of sight
- Scale or Balance
These 5 elements play a major role in designing the landscapes, as a landscape is not a static picture. It keeps changing as people move through it, while changing the line of sight, thereby creating a shift in the focal point and balance points.
What is meant by Residential Landscaping?
It is a technical field of art which helps in transforming the spaces around your home or the residential areas of complexes to make them look aesthetically appealing and functional at the same time. Residential landscaping is a perfect way to create your own paradise in your home by transforming the surrounding areas into beautiful, attractive spaces.
Any novice who is experienced in gardening and has an artistic bent of mind with some knowledge of plants, gardening, and residential lawn care can create beautiful landscapes around the home. But if you are not very sure about the whole process and the various elements involved in residential landscaping, it is always better to go in for professional residential landscaping services.
What are the factors involved in residential landscaping?
There are certain factors that accrue for residential landscapes, which are discussed briefly here under.
- The residential lawn’s design, environment and the climate of a lace have a huge impact on the final outcome of the landscaping.
- One should know what plants thrive well together and what gives the best overall environment for the lawn areas.
- Depending on the climatic conditions prevailing as also the physical structure of the house and the location of the area to be landscaped, different plants and shrubs will be suggested by a professional landscaper, taking into consideration all the above mentioned factors.
If an area is under shade, then plants and shrubs that grow well under shade are suggested, at the same time keeping in mid the overall environment of the lawn and the attractiveness of it.
- As discussed earlier, any landscape involves natural and man-made elements. The fusion of these elements should bring about a desirable effect on the residential landscape rather than make it abstract and unappealing.
How to take care of residential lawns and tips for home gardens?
Residential Lawn CareTips:
- Use the correct watering technique and routine, to ensure a soft and flourishing lawn.
- Use natural and organic fertilisers such as manure, sea weed based fertilizers and other such organic based products.
- Organic lawn care controls and products ensure a very healthy lawn.
- Follow correct mowing techniques.
- Ensure that grass is tall, as tall, healthy grass indicates that it has developed a strong root system.
- Cut the grass up to one third its height and not trim it completely as it makes the grass open to disease.
- Always choose the right variety of grass, which again depends on factors like climate, environment, soil, maintenance etc.
- Maintenance of the tools and machines used in landscaping such as the mowers, and other garden tools is quite important.This helps in not stressing the lawn grass and achieving the perfect cut with perfectly sharp mower blades.
- Aerating the lawn helps loosening the soil and makes it flourish.
- De-weed regularly.
Tips for Homes and Gardens:
- Planting the right plants in your home garden, helps you achieve the best results and helps in lowing the cost of maintenance too.
- Use bio-pesticides in your home gardens. These help in not only in killing the pests but also in controlling the population of pests and insects.
- Watering your lawns with rainwater ensures a significant reduction in the water bills and also reduces contamination of the soil.
- Use compost piles for future use.
- For nutritional benefits of the lawn, recycle the organic material.
- Learn the difference between different kinds of plants and shrubs, ornamental plants, flowering plants, annuals and perineal plants etc., and what works best for the climatic region of your place.
- Ensure proper placement of plants. For example sun loving plants should not be planted in shady areas and vice versa.
- Plant some ever green plants so that the landscaped area looks evergreen always.
- Bring in the element of colour naturally, by planting colour coordinated flowering plants.
- Use natural tones to get the texture in your garden.
- Choose an ideal fencing for your garden. It could be a wooden fencing or a metal fencing or a fencing made by planting big trees.
- Use sustainable landscaping resources.
What is commercial landscaping?
Creating aesthetically appealing and attractive business spaces, using all the elements and designs of landscaping accounts for commercial landscaping. But there is much more than making pretty attractive spaces. Commercial landscaping is a little different form the residential landscapes.
Commercial landscapes are a little complex. There are other elements that work on making the end result a far superior one, such as the layout and the design of the commercial spaces (both outdoors and indoors), the surrounding areas, proper maintenance and care of the commercial landscapes , outdoor lighting, irrigation facilities and management, fertilisation , de-weeding etc.
What are the factors involved in commercial landscaping?
An interplay and fusion of the significant elements of landscape designing and architecture make for creating beautiful commercial spaces that look aesthetic and at the same time appropriate for the business or commercial area that is being landscaped. The defining factors involved in commercial landscaping include the following:
- The sometimes harsh and hard architectural angles and lines can be subdues or softened by using plants at the right places. Plants help balance the whole landscape in the commercial areas, which are essentially brick and mortar spaces.
- Plants contribute a lot to the colour element in commercial spaces.
- Plants in the commercial landscapes contribute to the natural climate control and also help in reduction in the pollution levels.
- Using water bodies such as fountains, ponds, artificial waterfall make these spaces look more attractive and lend them the softness that usually lacks in commercial spaces.
- Usage of effective commercial landscaping services and tools helps in reducing the carbon foot prints.
- The eco friendliness of the business establishment is also reflected by the landscapes around the business establishments.
- Commercial landscaping has other indirect beneficial features. These help in raising the market value of the localities. Tourism in the area may receive a boost as many people do visit architectural marvels or business establishments which are landscaped perfectly.
- Commercial landscaping involves a regular maintenance and hence it is always advised to go in professional commercial landscape services that look after the maintenance, mowing , de- weeding, irrigation, fertilisation etc.
What are the different kinds of equipment used for commercial landscaping?
The different types of commercial landscaping equipment vary hugely from those used for the residential landscaping. The once used for the commercial purpose are generally big in size and power driven.
They are usually used on multiple projects and sites. The size of the property and the size of the equipment used should be matched. This helps in efficient usage of the equipment and there is significant reduction of the carbon foot print.
Some common business landscaping tools include brush cutters, big mowers, turf tractors, turf aerators, leaf vacuums etc.
Commercial landscaping equipment must be very durable and strong, which is heavy duty resistant. This increases the life time of the tools and is cost effective. New tools and equipment are available and a good professional commercial landscaping service should be able to provide the best of services by incorporating modern technology systems.
Are there any residential landscaping software? Is one available for commercial landscaping too?
Well there is good news. Landscaping software is available which makes it very easy for designing the landscapes. The residential landscaping software is a boon to the novice landscaper and a great tool to the professional designer.
The commercial landscaping software is an easy tool which makes the designing, visualisation and documentation of the whole process of landscaping, a breeze. The different types of software include Cad Pro, Pro Landscape, Smart Draw, Real Time Landscaping Plus, Home and Landscape design etc.
Even though it needs some technical know how, if you have the proverbial green thumb, then landscaping is exactly what you need to do. They love to explore and experiment with plants as they know inside out of plants, their care and maintenance.
Hence we can see many people bringing out perfect landscapes for their residences with little help from the internet and from the little shop tucked in the corner of the street that sells gardening material and tools. Commercial landscaping though is different take entirely as it involves great deal of professional touch.