The backyard is one place where everyone loves to come back after a days hectic routine.
Be it small or big, a backyard is always the most sought after place to relax and rest your mind & soul in tranquil.
It does not mean that a big and lavishly spent backyard is the best place to hang out.
A small, comfortable, well designed and a pleasing backyard will do even more wonders.
The look and feel of the backyard garden totally depends upon how well you plan and how well you make your fascinating ideas meet reality.
Each person and his aspirations are different and so are his interests.
- 1 Factors that determine the type of backyard designing:
- 2 Even though you have a small backyard, you could design them in such a way that it looks big and beautiful on the outside. Here are some hacks:
- 2.1 Organize your Space:
- 2.2 Vertical Planting:
- 2.3 Use your Side yards:
- 2.4 The Mirror magic:
- 2.5 Reuse Refreshingly:
- 2.6 Plant Right:
- 2.7 Level – gardening:
- 2.8 Hang them Up:
- 2.9 Break the Boundaries:
- 2.10 Here are some views to small backyard ideas with pools:
- 2.11 Backyard Ideas for Dog Lovers:
- 2.12 Need a Deck to adorn your backyard?
- 2.13 Here are some small backyard ideas without grass:
Factors that determine the type of backyard designing:
Purpose of the Backyard
Number of occupants of the house
Age of the occupants
Your Local Weather conditions
Availability of Water Resources
Existence of Pets
All the above points are to be given deep thought and a personalized and well-equipped Small Yard design has to be developed.
Many people who step in to design their backyard find the space constraint as a major drawback and draw various limits to their ideas. But the truth is with proper planning and execution; you can make your backyard a pleasing and inviting one and could even make your neighbors envy your backyard.
There are a lot of small backyard ideas. Effective use of available resources will do wonders. You could choose to design a backyard with a pool, a deck or any other feature that buds in your thought.
You will have to consider who is going to use the backyard and see to that they are comfortable and safe while using them. You might have kids at home, who would love to play unstoppable. You might also have pets that you nurture. All this has to be taken into consideration.
Even though you have a small backyard, you could design them in such a way that it looks big and beautiful on the outside. Here are some hacks:
Organize your Space:
Most of us think that keeping most of the space unused would make it look bigger, but it does not hold true here. Proper spacing and organization is the secret here. Allocate areas for purposes and keep them separate and organized in your own style. Give proper space to walk and align the way with greens. This is true to make your backyard look bigger and more efficient.
Think different. Instead of doing the usual horizontal planting, take up vertical planting. Backyards are always incomplete without fresh gardening. You can choose to grow vegetables, herbs, creepers or climbers. All this will enhance the green look of your backyard and make it appear full and bigger. Plant them vertically with tin cans hanging from a wooden stand or you can use hanging pots too.
Use your Side yards:
With so much thought and emphasis on the backyard, we often tend to forget our side yard, which is left unattended. They are the places, which are used less and definitely not useless. Make use of these side yards to grow some kitchen needs. This will extend the garden space and add up to the green look.
The Mirror magic:
If your backyard looks very small, try using the old-school idea of mirrors. Hang them on your fence to reflect the greenery and make it seem never-ending. Simple Idea isn’t it.
Make the best use of your plastic trays, Coffee cans, mason jars and anything that can hold on to soil and a seed. This makes the most of out of limited space.
One major thing that has to be followed for a seemingly bigger looking backyard is to choose and plant the right varieties of plants and trees. Not all the trees require large space. You can go in for tall and thin trees that will not eat much of your space but still continue to give that green lush look. Go in for hybrid varieties that grow within a limit.
Level – gardening:
Set up leveled landscape in one corner of your backyard, where the lower level can be used for seating purpose and as the level goes up you can plant accordingly.
Hang them Up:
Some plants look awesome when hanged up in colored pots. Also they do not eat up your floor surface. Choose such plants and give your backyard a look of a hanging garden.
Break the Boundaries:
I do not mean breaking the boundary literally! Just meant to say that you could avoid using fences to give an extended look to your backyard making it look bigger and evergreen. Again this is subject to terms and conditions depending upon your neighbor.
The Next important feature to be in an ideal backyard is the Pool Area. Gone are the days when we thought installing a pool at our backyard requires some really huge space.
A small swimming pool that suits our small backyard is indeed a wonderful and realizable dream. Always remember the size of a facility does not necessarily bring happiness, but the comfort and the unique idea is that will bring joy to you.
There are also many more added advantage of installing a small swimming pool. They come under your budget, easy to maintain and clean and easier to operate.
Here are some views to small backyard ideas with pools:
- According to the shape and size of your backyard pools can be designed suitably.
- Giving unique shapes and designs to the pools make it attractive and unique. Also it hides the size factor and portrays the design factor.
- Usage of organic shapes for your pool, gives them a more natural look.
- Go in for walk-in pools with a unique style statement, this given them a more superior look.
- Try experimenting with water falls featuring in your pool and gives them a spa-like look.
- Plan for a proper filtration system and never forget to recycle the water to for your plants.
You can spice up to the looks of your backyard with a free-form pond. Keep trending and experimenting!
Backyard Ideas for Dog Lovers:
If you were a pet lover, then you would definitely need to incorporate the following dog friendly designing to your small backyard ideas for dogs, to make them as happy and contended as possible:
- Create a Dog House for your loved ones, not necessarily a big one but a small private area of their own.
- See to that they have proper access to water and a dining area.
- Design the backyard with required safety facilities, so that your dogs don’t go beyond boundaries.
- Allocate a stroll area for dogs so that they get their own space for walks.
- Choose plants that would not harm your pets and also give care while choosing your paving materials. See to that they are dog friendly.
- Dogs too love playing out in the sun and then getting back under a shady shelter. So provide them with shady and cool shelters.
Need a Deck to adorn your backyard?
Having a deck as a part of your backyard designing is rather unstoppable. However with space constraints you would feel this task is impracticable. But let me tell you, with smart ideas you can make the best use of the available space.
To include a deck in your rather small backyard, you will have to go:
- Analyze your requirement: The requirement of a person will differ according to his lifestyle patterns and purpose. So re-examine your requirement.
- Structure it Right: The deck should be properly structured and should gel with your backyard and your home.
- Choose your furniture’s Sensibly: The furniture used for the deck area should be 100% serviceable either ways. Go in for multipurpose, multi storage furniture’s that will occupy less room and put its full facility to use.
- Decorate: Incorporate small flowerpots, colorful containers, beautiful lightings and pleasant fabrics to enhance the appearance of your deck.
- Add on to details: Give attention to small details and try giving a unique pattern and finish to every nook and corner of your deck making it adorable from all the viewpoints.
All set and ready to go, what if a person doesn’t like his backyard to be filled with grass and dislikes spending all his weekend maintaining them. There are definitely practically possible ideas for a no-grass backyard.
Here are some small backyard ideas without grass:
- Go for Pots
- Try out growing shady trees and dwarf palm trees.
- Build a small raised area from the ground for planting your choice of plants.
- Try using artificial lawns.
- Go in for a patio with pavers or stones and border them with colorful plants.
- Try alternative plants that give the green look although being grass free.
Well with all sorts of designing ideas pondered upon the main aspect of getting them to life is certainly the dollar king. The main challenge and the ultimate talent are to bring in all these ideas to life with minimum possible money resource. So it is inevitable to brush up with them small backyard design ideas on a budget.
- Install low budget mirrors to give a full green look to your backyard. The mirror will not only reflect your greenery but also your smart creativity.
- Reuse any small item that can prove to be useful in your backyard.
Put to use your used coffee cans, plastic trays, jars, buckets, bottles and so on. Enhance your creativity and create great art from waste.
- Go in for solar lighting to light up your backyard with minimal costs.
This way you can lighten up your entire outdoor surroundings and give your backyard a royal look with the least expense.
- A swing can add on to the fun factor of your backyard with just a rope and a pallet – This will definitely be a favorite spot to all.
- Color up your pots with low cost spray-painting and arrange them in a fashionable pattern.
- Also color your backyard pavement tiles here and there to light up the look of the often-overlooked part of the backyard. Apply a double coat of a non-glare exterior paint to give it a matt finish.
- Make use of hose pipes to create small water splash or small fountains that your kids would love and simultaneously that would also take care of your watering work. Two in one benefit – right?
- Color your outdoor pots with paints that glow in the dark, this way they provide to be a lighting source absolutely free of cost and is sure to enhance the beauty of your backyard.
- Create a simple tent outdoor with just a rope between two trees or poles and hanging some fabric that is in excess and then fixing the sides to the floor. There comes the relaxing lounge for you.
- With kids around, you can even try placing a big black board on one corner of the backyard to let children have their own private place for art and play.
When ideas are not a constraint all the other constraints such as space, money and the like does not matter at all. Having a full-fledged backyard on a sprawling space is no great deal, but making a small backyard look big and beautiful with limited resources is the real fun.
Put your creativity to test and open up your fresh flow of thoughts and pour them out in your backyard to see incredible result. After all it is your own backyard and you have all the right to design and to re-design it according to your tastes and preferences.
Always take the time and be patient when you start to design your backyard. Small yard design is rather challenging but an interesting and soul-stirring task to be performed. So experiment and enjoy your backyard!