To own a house of your own with a delectable backyard and a welcoming patio is a dream for everyone.
For the top notch look, along with the right material, layout, colors and landscaping, the right lighting is necessary.
To maintain the aesthetic appeal of your home when the Sun goes down, use outdoor lighting.
- 1 What are key reasons for outdoor landscape lighting?
- 2 Is landscape lighting a tedious job?
- 3 What are the points to consider when buying outdoor lighting?
- 4 Purpose
- 5 Cost
- 6 What are the factors to be considered when buying light bulbs?
- 7 What are the different kinds of Power options for outdoor landscape lighting?
- 8 Why should you consider LED landscape Lighting?
- 9 What are the different types of Fixtures?
- 10 A quick review of various outdoor lights
- 11 Utility
- 12 Position
- 13 Right Fixtures
- 14 When is the best time to do landscaping lighting?
- 15 Do you need permit?
- 16 Take the plunge- light up the outdoor
- 17 Download 30 Projects for LED in your Garden PDF file here
What are key reasons for outdoor landscape lighting?
Outdoor lighting has become an integral part of most households.
It enhances the architecture and landscape around the house while bringing in a sense of security and safety with it.
Besides these two benefits, outdoor lighting makes the pathways and the driveways easy to navigate at night. Pierce Brown, the author of the latest rage “Golden Son,” rightly said,“Home isn’t where you’re from, it’s where you find light when all grows dark.”
Your home is a place which makes you feel secure and happy;a place where you socialize with your friends and enjoy moments of quiet with nature for company. With appropriate backyard lighting you can extend the socializing hours in summers and feel secure in dreary dark winters in the warm glow that lights up a moonless night.
Thus subtleoutdoorlighting heightens the charm of the outdoors while encouraging you to enjoy nature all through the year.
Is landscape lighting a tedious job?
Now, if you are wondering on the cost involved and all the trouble that you may have to go through, then you would be surprised to know that outdoor landscape lighting is the easiest of all renovations. It is
- Done outdoors.
So you don’t have to deal with the usual mess that is a part and parcel of renovation and your regular routine goes on without any disruption.
What are the points to consider when buying outdoor lighting?
To achieve the perfect look you need to plan your outdoor lighting. Survey your backyard at night and visualize the various lighting options and the effect they have on the surroundings. At this juncture you need to consider or decide what is the objective of your landscape lighting, what kind of atmosphere you want to create, what is the cost involved.
When you consider exterior landscape lighting you should keep in mind direct versus indirect light. Direct outdoor landscape light often highlights only the object it is focused on and not the surroundings. While indirect light reflects on the surrounding surfaces also to create a soft glow.
Let’s pay attention to the main objects of outdoor lighting
Before you venture into landscape lighting be aware of the purpose in the first place. The purpose will help in identifying the correct fixtures, lamp bulbs and the estimated expense involved.
- Overall Illumination: Are you looking at illuminating the entire backyard and the overall surrounding.
- Specific Task: If you are looking for lightning for specific jobs like cooking in the barbeque pit or just a porch light then your needs will be different from overall illumination.
- Access Lighting: These kinds of lights are needed to light up the pathway and the driveway.
- Security Lighting: If your objective is security than this is what you are looking for to deter trespassers and theft.
- Accentuate a particular space: This is usually done to highlight trees or statues or columns.
A combination of lights and fixtures are required to meet your needs and enhance the appeal of your house.
The cost depends on various factors like the number of fixtures, types of fixtures, and the wattage of the bulbs. The cost is also determined by the nature of the light bulbs – LED, Solar or normal. The transformer, the wires and connectors are the additional cost involved.
What are the factors to be considered when buying light bulbs?
Before you plunge into investing in landscape lighting you should gain knowledge on the various aspects of light bulbs to use them to their full potential.
- Brightness: You should choose bulbs which emit bright light but are not harsh and have too much glare.
- Reflectance: It is the amount of light that is reflected and it is dependent on the surface- wall, foliage etc.
- Color temperature: The color of light bulbs is often written on the package and it ranges from 1800 Kelvin to 7500 K which is very red tone to bluish white respectively. Warmer colors like yellow and oranges are used for lower illuminance while whites are used for greater brightness.Warm whites are often preferred to enhance the beauty of the foliage and for a mellowed and subtle effect.
- Life of the light bulb: The longevity of the outdoor lights is a major factor that you can’t overlook. Cheap regular bulbs will need to be changed frequently while LED lights last longer and are more energy efficient.
- Energy efficiency: For outdoor lighting low voltage bulbs of 12 volts suffice to provide the desired illumination.Motion sensors, timersanddimmer controls help in conserving energy. LED outdoor lightings are the norm nowadays.
- Positioning: For that penultimate look the correct position of the bulbs is a must to prevent glare and achieve the desired result. With appropriate fixtures the light can be directed to the desired area.
What are the different kinds of Power options for outdoor landscape lighting?
There are three types of power options that you should take note for landscape lighting.
- Solar powered lighting: These eco-friendly, economical and easy to install solar garden lights require no wiring and are powered by the Sun. They can be used in flood lights. Sunlight from the sun is stored in the built in battery. These lights automatically light up when the sun sets. They are ideal for areas where power is not accessible.
- Line voltage lighting: Here the fixtures receive 120 volts of electricity just like most electronic home appliances and it requires an electric junction box.
- Low voltage lighting: This kind of power is the most preferred because most low voltage outdoor lightings require only 12 volts power to function. They are easy to install,are more energy efficient and come with a transformer,low voltage cable and low voltage lamps. They are sufficient for the mellow outdoor light while high voltage lights are harsher.
Why should you consider LED landscape Lighting?
With energy conservation been the slogan of the day, LED lights are leading the way in all kinds of light fixtures. Though LED lights are more expensive when compared to the standard bulbs they are worth the money in the long run because
- They last really long
- Save almost 80% of the electricity bills
- Keep bugs away
- Are safe to use because of the plastic case
- Conserve energy.
What are the different types of Fixtures?
When considering the various light fixtures you must pay attention to the aesthetic appeal, the functionality and ease of use. The most important factor as always remain the cost involved.
Lamp Posts: These bring in the charm of days gone by when the oil was used to light the lamps. Though we don’t thankfully use oil anymore, we can retain the charm by using these fixtures in the beginning of the driveway or front walkway. Sometimes a new wiring has to be established for which necessary permits have to be obtained from the concerned Government department. If you want to prevent the hassle, go for solar powered lamp posts.
Lanterns: Similar in function to lamp posts, these fixtures are typically hung from a chain or are affixed on the walls. They add the required elegance to your patio and often the exiting wiring should suffice. Again, if you have the required sunlight, then you can use the solar powered lanterns which are more cost effective and ecofriendly.
Wall lanterns:They can be used to enhance the look of the outdoor seating area, either side of the garage door or to illuminate the street address.
Path Lights: These are a definite must to light up your pathway. You can either go for LED lights which are wired together with a single wiring hidden underground or for solar lights with rechargeable battery which go on the moment the sun goes down.
Flood Lights: These lights are mainly used for security because they are wide angled and illuminate a large area. They are ideally placed on the rooftop of the home and around the entire lawn or backyard. Most of the flood lights are designed to stay on only for a few minutes to few seconds. Halogen lamps are often used in flood lights.
Spotlights: As the name suggests spotlights form an integral part of outdoor lighting because they highlight any interesting features in your yard- maybe the old oak tree with a tree house on top, or the rock garden you painstakingly put together. They can be left on overnight. They are not dependent on the building’s electrical system.
Deck Lights:Necessary to light up the steps, these lights require the help of an electrician for installation. They are usually fitted on the sides of the wall beside each step.
Porch Lights:This is not any unique light but a necessity because it lights up the porch and can be controlled from within the house. Any CFC bulb can be used and the home’s electric system can be used.
A quick review of various outdoor lights
With umpteen possibilities and a mind boggling array of fixtures and light options one should be able to narrow down on fixtures that serve their purpose and fall within their budget. Given below is a basic chart on the various ways to use light fixtures across the property.
This is just a broad outline; you can unleash your creativity and give a new look to your home and the surroundings.
Designing garden lightening depends not only on the kind of bulbs and outdoor lighting fixtures but also the ambient light in the area; steps have to be lit up differently when compared to your barbeque area or the oak tree in the backyard.
When is the best time to do landscaping lighting?
The ideal time for any kind of renovation is the summer and spring. Long days and warm climate are best suited for all kinds of electrical work, especially in the outdoor.
Do you need permit?
For simple electrical wiring which uses existing wiring of the house no permits are required. But care should be taken that proper installation of all new wiring happens; it is mandatory by law. Hence, it is advisable to seek the help of professionals for wiring and rewiring of any kind.
Take the plunge- light up the outdoor
Be it summer or long dreary winters, the ideal lighting not only lifts up your spirits but also improves the aesthetic appeal of your house. With zillion options to choose from, the task at hand is not easy but with the right guidance and some prudence you can have a house that you will be proud to showcase.
Imagine an illuminated deck, a warm and inviting patio and you enjoying a warm summer evening with friends and family. The tantalizing mystery surrounding the trees and shrubs highlighted by the spotlight create an enchanting atmosphere that you should not miss.
The above sceneneed not be a mere imagination; you can make it true by choosing Kichler outdoor light fixtures. Looks, ambience and safety and security of your home and the surrounding property can be enhanced by the right choice of fixtures.
For that perfect finish and superior fit Kichler is the name that you should look for. They have you covered right from your porch to your backyard. They have a huge range of styles right from the minimalist to the ornate to the Victorian.
Wait no longer to highlight the strong features of your property. With the correct combination of lights you can create a scene that emphasizes the textures of the walls; highlights the gazebos while maintain a pleasing
and welcoming exterior.